A feature in Vida’s mobile app that helps the user to schedule consultation with their health coach.
What is Vida Health?
A digital platform that bridges the gap between health goals and individuals through health programs and coaching.
Members are having a hard time find coaches’ availability to schedule a consultation.
Activation within a member’s first week is a key contributor to long term retention. During periods of high volume, in and around customer launches, it becomes increasingly difficult to find coaches with availability for consultation scheduling.
About 30% users drop off due to no coach consultation
Make consultation scheduling as easy as possible.
Understand the Problem
What are the problems with the consultation scheduling in the product end?
- Users can only view 6-days availability into the future and often view days that could have 0 availabilities.
- Users can only set up a consultation of fixed time duration. (initial consultation 40 mins, follow up consultation 30 mins), but it often doesn’t take that long, some shorter available time slots was wasted
- Users have to message their coach to set up a follow-up consultation and reschedule a consultation.
What are the possible approaches to these problems?
Based on the discussion we had with the dev team and Product team, we refined the requirements to ensure they can make much impact without adding massive engineering effort.
- Allow a user to only view dates with availability and look at all future days of availability.
- Member can schedule flexible time slots of 30 or 15 mins only for follow-ups.
- Users can schedule follow up consults when they want, without requiring coach permission or confirmation.
What is the mental model of scheduling an appointment?
To start off, we rethink about the scheduling flow. And there is an argument around the mental model of scheduling from a calendar view vs. 3-day view. We conducted a one-day usability test to inform the new consult scheduling UX designs. Observe and record which calendar view they preferred and why.
3 day view
Most of our users think about which dates work over which times and so prefers the calendar view.
Calendar view: It works much better because they can see the month out.
3-day view: They didn’t want to see a whole grid of days, esp if those days didn’t work for them. doesn’t want to shift through days that don’t work for them.
What are some possible calendar view scheduling alternatives?
I looked up different scheduling feature on the market and came up with 3 directions of scheduling through a calendar view.
Provide available time slots for a user to choose from and it takes least interaction for users to accomplish the task.
Users would experience the frustration of keep finding no time available. And it is not efficient for scheduling.
The coach’s calendar should not be visible to the member. And it might cause some extra interaction problem or extra taps to accomplish the task.